You've likely come across the phrase "contempt of court" on your preferred legal drama or daytime judge program. It's an important legal issue, and it's important to be aware of what it entails. When someone faces contempt, their behavior has been deemed disrespectful in court, and they have deliberately defied court orders.

In general, contempt of court is a punitive measure intended to ensure that legal procedures and judgments are followed and upheld.

In Family Law, What Does "Contempt of Court" mean?

Divorce, child support, and custody are all elements of family law. This sort of delicate issue is near-impossible to tackle unless your ex-partner fails to observe court orders. In family law, contempt is generally used to describe disobedience of court orders rather than disruptive behavior. The following are just a few examples of things that might lead to a person being held in contempt.

  • Restraining order violation
  • Not paying your child support
  • Not paying your spousal support
  • Visitation or child custody violation
  • Not obeying a court-ordered property division
  • Not keeping a job to pay your child support

Penalties for "Content of Court"?

The penalty for contempt varies depending on the court and how severe the violation ends up. In some cases, the judge might suspend a jail sentence. Assuming this scenario happens, the judge can impose one of these penalties:

  • Revoke visitation rights
  • Community service
  • Request payment for court and attorney costs
  • Court-ordered counseling
  • Loss of driving privileges
  • Jail time is also a possibility, but it is generally reserved for more serious offenses.

Can You Request an Ex-Partner to be Held in Contempt Regarding a Family Law Case?

Yes, but there is more to it. If you think the opposing party in your divorce hearing, child support, or child custody has failed to follow court orders, you can file a motion to have them held in contempt. Keep in mind that you must provide evidence that will show how your situation compares to others. Establish the existence of a lawful court order requiring the other person to comply.

Contact us if you need help with contempt of court case. Our team of professionals can assist you with filing the necessary paperwork and representing you in court. We understand how difficult it is to deal with these cases, so we'll handle everything for you while keeping you updated every step of the way. Schedule a consultation today to get started.

Free Case Evaluation

To get a Free Case Evaluation please call us at (800) 968-5313 or fill out the form below to have a legal professional contact you shortly.